Thursday, February 16, 2012

And your point is?

I still buy books, you know. Remember them, those papery things that  usually ended up full of receipts and train tickets? Although sometimes I wish I didn’t.  Buy them, I mean. Trawling the discount tables in a Bangkok branch of Kinokuniya, I come across a copy of my Noughties book, reduced to 100 baht (about two quid in old money). Slightly more expensive (but then it is a hardback, I tell myself) is Padgett Powell’s The Interrogative Mood. The title gives the twist away: it’s composed entirely of questions, a structural gimmick to which such staples of fiction as plot and character are pretty much sacrificed. The subtitle – A Novel? – suggests that this is the whole point. It doesn’t particularly work as an overall piece, but there are some passing delights among the queries. For example: “If architecture is frozen music, do we not deserve a whole cookbook of such recipes?” Which almost seals up the puncture wound in my creative ego. Almost.

5 comments:

expat@large said...

Which one? Paragon or Emporium? I'll pick one up tomorrow. My Singapore Kino card gives a discount, right?

Tim F said...

Paragon. But I don't think you get a further discount on remaindered stock. What a pity.

expat@large said...

Found a copy, luckily.... or not! 100Bht, ouch! Do I have to read it now?

Tim F said...

I expect a full critical analysis here first thing in the morning. With footnotes.

expat@large said...

As you can see over there, failed miserably in this quest. I must admit the list of important, famous people - and actors - who left us in the 0's was humbling. Marilyn Chambers - dead!