Saturday, October 19, 2013

Why the Smiths are better than Oasis

Noel Gallagher, one-time leader of 90s comedy beat combo Oasis, has ventured into the realms of literary criticism. In an interview with Don’t Mention The War Monthly GQ, he damns all fiction as “a waste of fucking time” and complains that 
people who write and read and review books are fucking putting themselves a tiny little bit above the rest of us who fucking make records and write pathetic little songs for a living.
Meanwhile, another Mancunian curmudgeon who writes pathetic little songs, himself no stranger to the absurdities and cruelties of the English class system, has realised that the best way to take revenge is to write a book

4 comments:

Annie said...

He does shoot his mouth off and say some incredibly stupid ignorant things (wishing Blur would "catch AIDS" being one of the most memorable ones) but I can't help but like him, he seems like a nice man.

Not so sure about Morrissey any more. I don't know if I want to read his book, I was burned after reading a Bob Dylan biography and realising my idol had feet of clay.

Brian Busby said...

Not to suggest that it isn't worth consideration, but just how does a book become a "Classic" before publication? When the publisher pays a significant advance perhaps?

Brings to mind all those "best of" albums covered in stickers that tout a "new hit single". However do they know? And can I get a refund if the new song tanks?

Ah, well, at least Penguin doesn't have to worry about paying royalties on Narrative of Sojourner Truth.

Rol said...

Re: your headline. Was there ever any question?

I can't wait to read Morrissey's book. Particularly the latter half, the bit all the critics are moaning about. I'm sure it'll be a maudlin, self-pitying whinge...but that's what I pay him for.

Tim F said...

Annie: Morrissey tries to be cleverer than he is, while Gallagher wants to come over as more stupid than he is. Neither is ideal, but I think the former is preferable.

Brian: I think it's more to do with Morrissey's love of slightly faded archetypes of British UK culture; he had the HMV and Parlophone labels resuscitated for some of his album releases. If he made a movie he'd insist on the Rank man banging a gong at the beginning. Penguin Classics fits into that mould.

Not in my mind, Rol, but the sales figures might suggest otherwise.