Tuesday, December 12, 2023

About bloody cheek

I found this plea for financial assistance on a website that includes the full text of my book about Radiohead. I wonder how much they’re planning to pay me.


PS: Received an email from one Miles Wihrt (don’t know if he has any connection with Internet Archive), who asked:
Are you actually hurt about internet archive, or just blogging to blog?
To which I responded:
Hi Miles, 
Not hurt, just pointing out what I see as a paradox.
In 2007, I wrote a book. Back then, if people wanted to read it, they bought a copy and, in theory, some of the money made its way back to me. 
Now, I understand how notions of copyright and ownership have been upended since then, and I get that some people feel entitled to read and watch and hear content for free, so they have no qualms about going to Internet Archive and downloading it. Obviously, none of the money makes its way back to me. What does niggle just a little is that, presumably, some other people do feel some kind of obligation to pay money for this privilege; they just won't pay that money to the people who wrote or published the book in the first place.
And in answer to your question, yes, I do blog to blog. But my baby just loves to dance.

No comments: