So Pepsi made a commercial in which Kendall Jenner, who is apparently a Kardashian, sort of, shows up at a political demonstration and calmed everyone down with a can of fizzy drink and some people didn’t like it so Pepsi said, yeah, fair enough, we’ll pull it.
- It’s just a classic example of recuperation, the tactic of reclaiming radical, transgressive images/tropes in the cause of capitalism. The flipside of the Situationist tactic of détournement. Every time your favourite old punk anthem shows up in a commercial. That.
- Until this thing happened, I honestly thought Kendall Jenner was a boy.
- Everyone’s so clean and groomed and pretty. Is that what demos are like now? Blimey.
- An Iranian friend has pointed out that the placard with supposedly Arabic text on it just contains random characters that don’t mean anything.
- We’re all talking about Pepsi now.
- And Kendall Jenner.
- Right now, Coca-Cola is working on something bigger and better/worse.
PS: Also, this: