Sunday, December 11, 2011

I don’t know why

...so I first saw this clip of Korean kindergarteners singing a Ramones song when Everett posted it on Facebook, and he wrote a book about the Ramones, I thought, so he should know, and I thought it was pretty damn cool, especially the kid in green who decides to do air guitar instead of pogoing, so I reposted it and few people whose opinions I trust said they liked it, as in *Like*d it, so that’s OK, but then the Daily arseing Mail caught up with it and said how heartwarming it was, in a slightly patronising way, and so I started wondering whether it was actually that good (a bit like last month, when John arseing Lewis retrospectively destroyed my teenage years) and then I calmed down a bit and had a cup of tea and started thinking about context and connotation and came to the conclusion that the clip’s still quite fun actually, even if I don’t really like small children that much. And maybe not absolutely everything that appears in the Daily Mail is entirely vile and squalid.

I must be getting old.

Hey ho, let’s – in a very real sense – go:

4 comments:

Romeo Morningwood said...

I never did get to see the Ramones or the Talking Heads play at CBGBs. Back in the late 70s I wanted to be in New York...in the early 70s I wanted to be hopping around clubs in London to see the Hoople and Slade.

There is something supremely comforting about punk music bringing so much joy to children who live in one of the most crowded, hyper-structured societies on Earth. The freedom to abandon decorum and dance like a crazyperson is not lost in translation.

Anonymous said...

See the Daily Mail? That's your girlfriend, that is.

Anonymous said...

The Mail reports on anything that *clears throat* goes viral. They live for google hits. They'd post videos of their own Grandfather if they thought they'd get a link from reddit and a few retweets.

Tim F said...

Donn: I've got a whole thesis brewing on the connections between punk rock and Asian/Buddhist social structures.

Actually, BWT, I'm so retro I'm having a fling with Eddy Shah's Today.