Thursday, July 15, 2021

About staycation

An example, if any were needed, of how fast language changes, and with it our attitudes. When I first heard the word “staycation”, meaning spending one’s holiday in and around one’s own home, I probably grimaced more than a little. But now I find myself wanting to protect the clunky, ugly neologism from a new meaning being applied by tabloid sub-editors, which is simply a holiday in one’s own country. Although I suppose I’m old enough to remember when the word for this was simply “holiday”.

1 comment:

Garth said...

Yeah, Staycation is the future for the majority of British holidaymakers since travel is being severly discouraged. I wouldn't be surprised if the south coast becomes the new building boom for Britain's corrupt building developers; the new Costa del Plenty.