Monday, June 13, 2011

Amina that most sincerely, folks

Following the revelation that Amina Arraf, a lesbian blogger in Damascus, was in reality Tom MacMaster, a straight, male American postgraduate student in Edinburgh (who had borrowed Facebook photographs, taken in Paris, of a Jelena Lecic, a Croatian woman living in London), now seems as zeitgeisty a moment as it could ever be to admit that I am not, as I  previously claimed, a straight, balding, grumpy British man who occasionally  writes about restaurants in Bangkok, but a celibate Belgian woman who runs a small hardware shop in Montevideo, Uruguay. I hope my readers will a) forgive me; and b) take note of the special offer we have this week on rawlplugs.

While we’re on the subject, though: who are you, really?

PS: Zeitgeist update: now the woman whose photos were hijacked has her own publicist.

PPS: And if fake lesbians are what floats your boat, here’s another.

11 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Indira Gandhi.

Rog said...

Bougies Quatre s'il vous plait

Dave said...

My blogging character is more life-like than the 'real' me.

GreatSheElephant said...

I am the Indovukazi. I don't know why no-one believes this.

Kitty Hannah said...

I am a blogging ruminant some days, occasionally an online seagull, and the love child of Mary Whitehouse and Jerry Lewis about twice a year.

No, seriously, I am the reincarnation of Benny Hill crossed with Myra Hindley but you can just call me Hannah.

Geoff said...

I am Sonny of Sonny and Sally from Silicon Valley.

Michele R. StrĂ¼b said...

http://www.queerty.com/is-tom-mcmaster-a-jerk-for-pretending-to-be-a-gay-girl-in-damascus-20110613/

Anonymous said...

I'm really much younger and fitter and my ankle is not giving me gip.
But considering your Belgian - do you fancy a big thick Belgian cookery book. Though thinking about it, I guess being Belgian, you may not need it. (I'm trying to offload it. It's massive.)

Spinsterella said...

heh.

Tragically, I really am an impoverished Irishwoman who hasn't had a boyfriend since John Major was in power.

Tim F said...

All very interesting. But how many of you should I believe?

speccy said...

I'm tall and slim, speak many languages and am a wonderful yummy mummy


yeah, right