Saturday, August 04, 2007

Jobsworth

I've often been tempted to do a post about the various indignities that get inflicted on the English language in Asia. I usually stop myself: the goofs are seldom as funny out of context; and in any case, the whole thing gives me a case of post-colonial guilt. Whoever perpetrates the sins against Dr Johnson found on sites like The Chinglish Files is at least making the effort: his or her English will always be better than my Thai.

But (and you knew there was going to be a but, didn't you?) I couldn't resist this one. On the cover of a slightly dodgy DVD of Seabiscuit, the 2003 movie about a runty horse that became a champion, I read:

"A LONG SHIT THAT BECAME A LEGEND"

8 comments:

Valerie said...

Oh man. And I'm just settling down for a long session of proofreading. This is beautiful.

Geoff said...

I thought that was The Peter Crouch Story.

Billy said...

If only I could think of a good scatological response to that...

Tim Footman said...

I've only just realised this could be a simple typo, Valerie ('I' being next to 'O' on the kbd). But much respect if you find something better.

Geoff: And didn't someone describe Brian Clough twatting that pitch invader as "the shit hits the fan"?

You will, Billy, you will.

First Nations said...

here's one i've had as a file tag for a couple of years:

DO NOT GO IN The ATTIC!
EVEN IF ATTIC OF SEXY, NOT TO GO IN!
WATCHOUT OF A WASP ALSO! AND NOT MAKE LICK OF IT!
THIS IS WARNING OF YOU!

llewtrah said...

Sadly I didn't have a digital camera when I was in Malaysia. There were some absolute gemes. Being there due to business, often in non-tourist areas (for some people it meant staying 4 months at a time on several occasion) meant enterprising locals hurriedly put up English signs with hilarious results. A bit like Babelfish translations crossed with malapropism crossed with dyslexia.

Anonymous said...

Latest one for me was at a Carrefour in BKK, which offered a separate bathroom for the disabled clearly marked "cripple only".

Noel here Tim (all blogspot options are in Thai! No idea how to log in etc.).

Cheers.

Tim Footman said...

Morning, Boivin-san. The equivalent in Beijing is apparently 'deformed man'.

Yes, I set my account up in London, but it still defaults to Thai characters for no particular reason...